You are here: Court Programs > Mediation & Diversion Services > Family Mediation > FAQs


Who can use family mediation?
Parties can request pre-judgment or post-judgment family mediation. If a party is experiencing difficulty with issues relating to dissolution of marriage, married or unmarried parents, family members; OR the court can order pre-judgment or post-judgment family mediation of these issues at any time during the court proceedings. 

Please note: Family mediation is inappropriate if the case is currently being investigated for child abuse. 

How much does family mediation cost?
Fees are based on a flat rate for service but can be waived upon the court’s determination of indigence.  Flat rates are based on a combined joint income.  If gross combined annual income is $50,000 or less, each party will pay $60.  If gross annual combined income exceeds $50,000, each party will pay $120. 

What are the benefits of family mediation?
Family mediation costs are significantly less than litigation expenses.

  • There is an emphasis on cooperative rather than competitive conflict resolution.
  • It helps parties determine time sharing arrangements that best meet the emotional and social needs of their family.
  • The mediation conferences are scheduled within a much shorter period of time than regular court hearings.
  • All communication in mediation proceedings is confidential and inadmissible as evidence in subsequent legal or criminal proceedings, unless all parties agree otherwise or as otherwise required by law.
  • Pre-judgment agreements are incorporated into the final judgment.
  • Post-judgment agreements can be incorporated into court orders without a court hearing. 


What is the process for family mediation?
During a mediation conference, a Florida Supreme Court certified, professional mediator assists the parties in reaching a mutually satisfactory agreement.  After the mediation conference, the agreement is submitted to a Family Law judge for review and it is incorporated into a court order. 

What happens if there is not a resolution at a family mediation conference?
If the complaint cannot be resolved through family mediation, the parties have the option of going to court or seeking relief through other appropriate agencies. 

Can the mediator give legal advice?
No, the mediator may not give legal advice.  The parties are encouraged to consult with an attorney when legal questions arise.  Mediation is not intended to be a substitute for legal counsel.  

Can I argue my case before a judge or general master if I’d like to change my final judgment?
All post-judgment family law cases must participate in mediation before a hearing can be scheduled with the judge or the general master.