You are here: Court Programs > Drug Court Programs > Veterans Treatment Court > FAQs


How do I enter Veterans Treatment Court?

  • A veteran seeking initial entry into Veterans Treatment Court (VTC) must complete a VTC application and submit the application to the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit’s Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC). Upon receipt of the application, a VTC case manager will coordinate with the veteran’s defense counsel, the State Attorney’s Office, and the Clerk’s Office to have the veteran’s case set for status conference on the next available VTC docket, generally on a Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.
  • A veteran seeking reentry into VTC, after having successfully completed the VTC Program, reconsideration of a prior VTC court order, or any other form of VTC relief must file a written motion with the Clerk’s Office, detailing the legal and factual basis for the motion and the specific relief being sought, as well as properly notice all parties to include the Court’s judicial assistant. All such motions shall be scheduled through the Clerk’s Office and set for status conference or hearing, if applicable, on the next available VTC docket, generally on a Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.

Where can I find the VTC application?

What is the eligibility requirements for VTC ?

How long is the VTC program?

  • Participation in the VTC Pretrial Intervention Program can last from nine (9) months to twenty-four (24) months, depending on the veteran’s specific needs and risks. The length of time for participation in the VTC Post-Adjudicatory Program depends on the veteran’s specific needs and risks, as well as the terms of the agreement reached between the veteran’s defense counsel and the State Attorney’s Office.

If already participating in a mental health and/or alcohol or substance abuse treatment program, will I need to restart the treatment program upon entering VTC?

  • When a veteran signs the agreement to enter the VTC Program he/she may receive credit for any prior participation in mental health and/or substance abuse disorder treatment, subject to the Court’s approval.

What if I am not eligible for VA services?

  • Although many participating veterans receive services through the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration (VA), a veteran’s eligibility for VA services is not a requirement for entry into the VTC Program. VTC works closely with a variety of community-based providers who specialize in mental health and/or substance abuse disorder treatment.

What if I have more than one discharge status?

  • In order to participate in the VTC Program, an applicant must be a veteran, as defined in Section 1.01, Florida Statutes, or a servicemember, as defined in Section 250.01 , Florida Statutes, who has at least one (1) honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions. A veteran’s discharged status shall be verified by his/her Department of Defense Form 214 (DD214).
  • If a veteran is currently serving as part of the U.S. Armed Forces active or reserve components, then he/she must be serving in good standing, i.e., with no pending judicial, non-judicial or adverse administrative action. A veteran’s current service status shall be verified by written confirmation from his/her commanding officer or unit administrator.

Can I transfer my case to another county (or judicial circuit)?

  • Upon request, a veteran’s case may be transferred to another county (or judicial circuit); however, such transfer will depend on whether the receiving county (or judicial circuit) approves of the transfer. Please note that not every county (or judicial circuit) in the State of Florida has a VTC Program and not all VTC Programs are willing to accept transfers.

What is a VTC mentor?

  • VTC mentors serve in a unique role. VTC mentors do not supervise or monitor the compliance of a veteran’s progress in the VTC Program. VTC mentors are volunteers, who act as “battle buddies” by offering suggestions and general guidance as the veteran progresses through the program, while encouraging and supporting the veteran’s efforts in treatment, court supervision, and problem solving. VTC mentors keep information shared by the veteran in confidence and protect sensitive information.

How can I become a VTC mentor?

  • To serve as a VTC mentor, applicants must either be currently serving as part of the U.S. Armed Forces active or reserve components in good standing, i.e., with no pending judicial, non-judicial or adverse administrative action, or have been discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces under honorable conditions. Additionally, applicants must complete a VTC mentor application and mentor background check form (see form below) and successfully pass a background check. Upon approval by the Court, applicants may enter the VTC Mentor Program where they must successfully complete specified training.

         Mentor Application

         Mentor Background Check Form